Tuesday, August 25, 2009

How a Pastor Can Love God's People


All of these qualities of love find their source and perfect expression in God through Jesus Christ. If I am truly in Christ, I should express these loving qualities more and more toward God’s people under my care. Fill in the blank spaces with your member’s name.


1. Does my communication with ____________________ come from a heart of love or am I just an irritating noise maker (1 Cor. 13:1)?

2. Do I use the gifts God has given me to lovingly serve ____________________

(1 Cor. 13:2)?

3. Do I love ____________________ sacrificially? In what specific ways do I do so

(1 Cor. 13:3)?

4. Am I patient with ____________________? In other words, do I show an enduring

restraint with him or her even when I have a right to act? Do I restrain my words and

actions when wronged or provoked when I have a right to act, unless there is a

particular sin I need to address through gentle rebuke (Matt. 18:15-22; Gal. 6:1).

5. Am I kind toward ____________________? Kindness proceeds from a tender heart that contributes to the good will and happiness of others (1 Cor. 13:4).

6. I am not envious of ____________________. I do not feel uneasiness with the excellence, reputation or happiness he enjoys. I have no desire to depreciate him or her (1 Cor. 13:4).

7. I do not brag about myself to ____________________. This means that I do not have an anxious display of myself for the purpose of elevating my own life, especially at the expense of putting him or her down. I do not campaign for the center of attention (1 Cor. 13:4).

8. I am not arrogant, puffed up or swollen with a proud vanity (1 Cor. 13:4).

9. I am considerate and not rude with ____________________. I do not act unbecomingly or unseemly toward him, nor unnecessarily embarrass him (1 Cor. 13:5).

10. I seek ____________________’s greatest good and benefit (1 Cor. 13:5).

11. I am not easily provoked or angered by ____________________. I do not have a trigger temper that stems from bitterness (1 Cor. 13:5).

12. I do not keep a record of the wrongs suffered by ____________________ from which to make a plan for retaliation. Especially since Jesus Christ took the registry of my sins and their sins, and paid for them with his own sacrificial life and death (1 Cor. 13:5).

13. I do not rejoice in unrighteousness or evil done by or done to ___________________. I do not find pleasure in his or her demise, nor in rumors about his or her sin, but instead I seek out the truth (1 Cor. 13:6).

14. I am able to bear all things with ____________________. That means I protect his or her reputation, welfare or life (1 Cor. 13:7).

15. I put the best construction regarding ____________________ and see things about him or her from a good and positive light, unless there is sufficient evidence to believe otherwise (1 Cor. 13:7).

16. I have a positive and sure expectation that through Jesus Christ God will work all

things together for ____________________’s good. I actively promote the hope of Christ with others (1 Cor. 13:7).


17. My love endures and perseveres. Therefore, I find ways to encourage others to persevere in their life, walk and service in Christ (1 Cor. 13:7).

(an application of 1 Corinthians 13)


No comments: